The Dept came to be in August 2003 due to some tooting problems could not Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (N&MCN) accreditation till 2007 and NUC interim accreditation in2008. The first set graduated in 2009. Since then, the Dept has been presenting students to N&MCN on May and November every year for General Nursing Qualifying Examination and in March and September for Midwifery Qualifying Examinations. The Dept has graduated 6 sets of BN.Sc students.
The Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing Science programme officer general and professional education for nurses. The curriculum is designed to prepare the nurse to think effectively, to communicate thought and make judgments and discriminate among values. A nurse should understand the social, psychosocial, and physical factors involved in the promotion, maintenance and restoration of health and will be able to translate these factors into health needs, relating them to the appropriate health services. The programme is therefore designed to produce nurse practitioners who can function effectively within the health care delivery system of the nation.
The philosophy of the Department of Nursing science of Ebonyi State University is derived from the philosophy of the University and the philosophy of the nursing profession that focus on quality services to humanity.
- The Nursing Science programme of Ebonyi State University is anchored on a strong theoretical foundation of liberal and professional education leading to a Bachelors degree and providing the basis for clinical skills development and evidence – based practice with commitment to lifetime continuing professional development.
- The department of Nursing recognizes the bio – psychosocial (holistic) nature of man and that health is a fundamental human right of every individual, irrespective of age, sex, race, religion, tribe or social status, hence there should be reasonable access to comprehensive quality health care services for all. The department further appreciates that health and wellness is a continuum with an imperative for holistic nursing care for clients.
- The Department further believes in the provision of promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative health care services that are relevant to the health care needs of individuals, families and communities, recognizing the current societal demands for quality health care requiring dynamic and innovative approaches to the preparation of prospective nursing professionals.
- The Department assumes full responsibility for developing and administering with best practices a curriculum that guides, encourages, stimulates and challenges the student in problem – solving and analysis, with recognizing his/her goals and learning needs with due appreciation of the ever – changing health care needs of the society.
- The Department believes that a health team in which the individual, the family and the community play significant roles is the most effective approach to promotion, maintenance and restoration of health. It recognizes that nursing involves the ability to assess health care situations, make decisions, develop, implement and evaluate plan of comprehensive care together with individuals, families and communities in collaboration with other numbers of the health team.
- The Department believes that skilful profession nursing practice is an art based on time – tested scientific knowledge from physical and bio – psychosocial sciences. The professional capable of providing comprehensive health care service as members of the health team to individuals, families and communities in work with their full participation as appropriate.
The main objective of the programme is to prepare polyvalent, highly disciplined nursing professionals that are intellectually self – reliant with strong clinical and administrative skills.
Specifically, on completion of the Bachelor of the Nursing Science programme of Ebonyi State University, the students is expected to demonstrate competence by his/her ability to:
1. Integrate relevant concepts and scientific principles from nursing and bio-psychosocial science in the provision of comprehensive nursing care to individuals, families and communities where they live and work with their full participation as appropriate.
2. Make use of the nursing process and other tools of nursing practice in assisting individuals, families and groups to changing health needs at every stage of their growth and development.
3. Play leadership role as appropriate in managing health care team in providing holistic and comprehensive health care to clients at every level of the health care delivery system (primary, secondary and tertiary).
4. Contribute to the improvement of nursing practice by participating in interdisciplinary research and utilizing research finding relevant to nursing education and practice.
5. Pursue time – honoured, lifetime continuing professional development including higher degrees for self – improvement and advancement of the nursing profession.
Admission into this programme would be by University Matriculation Examination (UME) and Direct Entry Modes.
University Matriculation Examination (UME)
Candidate must possess credit passes at the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination of the West African Examination Council or National Examination Council, General Certificate Examination at the ordinary level or its equivalent in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics, at not more than two sittings. And an acceptable pass mark at the University Matriculation Examination (UME) conducted by the Joint admission and matriculation Board (JAMB).
DIRECT ENTRY ADMISSION
Candidates seeking for admission by direct entry into the B.N.Sc programme must have satisfied the Senior Secondary School certificate requirements for admission into the University as stated in 2.0 above. In addition they must possess the following qualification.
I). Passes in at least two science subjects including Biology or Zoology, Chemistry and Physics at the Higher School certificates or Advanced level of General Certificate of Education or its equivalent.
ii). Registered Nurse Diploma Certificate (RN) of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
iii). B.Sc degree in any of the Biological Sciences at not lower than a Second Class Upper Division (3.50 and above).
TRANSFERS FROM OTHER FACULTIES OF THIS UNIVERSITY
i. Candidates may transfer into part 11 B.N.Sc. programme from other relevant faculties provided they are in their 200 level and have passed all courses in their first year and have a minimum Cumulative Grade Point average of 3. 50.
ii. Such candidates shall not transfer during their final year in the University.
iii. No transfer to this department from other University.
In addition the University may conduct an aptitude test or interview for the final selection of candidate.
REQURIEMENT FOR THE AWARD OF THE DEGREE
The award of the Bachelor of Nursing Science (B.N.Sc) degree is subject to the candidate fulfilling the University general conditions for the award of degrees in addition to having satisfied the following:
i. The Candidate must have completed and passed all the compulsory courses offered within and outside the department as stated in the curriculum.
ii. The Candidate must have successfully completed all the required electives as stated in the curriculum.
iii. The Candidate must have sat for and passed all the compulsory examinations; General Nursing Professional examination inclusive,
iv. The candidate must have successfully completed the minimum number of hours of clinical exposure in different areas as specified,
v. The Candidate must have successfully completed a research work embodied in the form of project or dissertation report,
vi. The Candidate must have shown sufficient evidence of being worthy in character.