- In the 1999/2000 session, the Faculty of Education was established in Ebonyi State University. Social Studies Education was one of the units in the Department of Arts and Social Science Education of the Faculty. The purpose of the unit was to produce highly qualified and competent teachers who will assist in solving the manpower problem of secondary schools in Ebonyi State and the country as a whole. The unit courses were designed to inculcate the right Social Studies skills to students and equip them properly for the challenges in and outside the classrooms. The development of the programme of the Unit is a continuous one though being guided by the NUC approved minimum Academic Standards for the course. The Unit started with 13 students and one senior lecturer in social studies education. The senior lecturer was not over loaded since most of the courses taken then by the student were taught by the department of sociology. The unit has continue to grow and now has a student population of 142 students with lecturers in social studies education viz: 2 full time professor, 3 full time senior lecturers, 1 Adjunct senior lecturer, 4 full time others and 1 Adjunct lecturer 1, with a total of 10 lecturers. The Staff- Student ratio is = 1:14.2, numbers of lecturer with Ph.D 9, Non Ph.D yet 1.
The philosophy of this programme is centered on the promotion of the study of Social Studies and its cognate subjects as academic disciplines in an effort to satisfy the dire need for qualified teachers for the effective implementation of the National Policy on Education at the post-primary school level.
1. To expose the students to the various aspects of Education, Social Studies and the respective cognate subjects relevant to their preparation as post-primary school teachers;
2. To provide learning experiences which will help students acquire the basic contents and techniques for effective implementation of Social Studies, History, Religion, Economics, Geography and Political Science curricula in Nigerian post-primary schools.
3. To help students understand the interrelationships in the acquisition of knowledge otherwise subdivided into natural sciences, social sciences and humanities;
4. To develop students who understand their own physical and social world, the world of human beings, their activities and their interactions.
5. To acquaint the students with broad knowledge of the various methods of teaching Social studies in the upper levels of education.
6. To inculcate the right type of values and attitudes for the survival of the individual and the Nigeria society.
The students who graduate in Social Studies Education as a combination can find profitable employment anywhere in the country and beyond, particularly a teaching job in secondary schools, social welfare department, administrative staff in ministries, government parastatal /agencies as well as commercial ventures amongst others.
(i) A minimum of 5 credits passes in the relevant subjects areas in the SSCE or the GCE, O' Level obtained in not more than 2 sittings plus an acceptable score in the JAMB and PUTME. The subjects must include English Language, Government or History and mathematics.
(ii) Not less than 4 passes in the Pre-degree programme of EBSU plus at least 5 credit passes in the relevant subjects in the SSCE or GCE O’ Level obtained in not more than 2 sittings,
(iii) Four merit/credit passes at the NCE level.
Admission Requirements for Three Year Programme
- Candidates with a minimum of merits at the NCE could also be considered for a three year programme provided the three core subjects: English Language, Government or History and mathematics. are passed at Advanced level or at credit level at the O’Level GCE /SSCE.
- Two or more advanced level papers in GCE or HSC, one of which must be relevant to the course of study (Education Social Studies).
- A credit or merits in two year diploma course of the Arts and Social Science Education plus 5 credits at O'Level in GCE,SSCE or its equivalent at not more than two sittings.